Search Roosevelt University

Current Students: Frequently Asked Questions

More in this section...

What are your office hours?

Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm
Saturday and Sunday: Closed

(After hours there is always a Resident Advisor on-call that can be reached by contacting Campus Safety at extension 2020)

Is there a residency requirement?

Roosevelt believes in the benefits of living on campus; there is a two-year residence requirement for all new students. Students, who are unable to live on campus, must complete a Housing Exemption Application. Contact the Office of Residence Life to be sent the application. Submit to the Coordinator of Housing Administration with all required documentation. Housing exemptions are granted based on a student's ability to meet the defined exemption criteria.

How do I apply for housing?

Complete the online housing application and pay the one-time $250 housing deposit. There are 3 types of housing applications/contracts – academic year, spring only and summer. Applications are located in RU Access.

How To Apply For Housing

  • Visit
  • Registration and Student Services
  • Housing Application and Maintenance Request Form
  • RU Housing System

How do I pay my housing deposit?

Follow the steps below to make your $250 housing deposit. Housing deposits can be paid through RU Access or the cashier in Office of the Bursar located on 1M of the Wabash Building.

  • Go to RU Access
  • Click "Registration and Student Services"
  • Click "Tuition and Fees"
  • Choose "Make a Payment"
  • Click "Connect to Bill & Pay systems"
  • Choose "eDeposits" at the top of the screen
  • Select Term: Fall 2016-Spring 2017
  • Select "Deposit Payment: Housing Deposit"
  • Make your payment

Is the housing deposit refundable?

Yes. New and continuing students, who were planning to live on-campus for the upcoming academic year, but experience a change of plan or circumstance and will no longer be living on-campus must cancel their housing contract by July 15 to receive a housing deposit refund. If a student completes their application after the July 15th deadline, they will have 7 calendar days after signing to cancel the housing contract. Students must submit a Contract Cancellation Request Form to the Office of Residence Life.

The housing deposit will be released to the student’s account one semester after they move off campus. For example, if a student leaves housing at the end of the Fall semester, their housing deposit will be released at the end of the Spring semester. If the student has a balance on their Bursar, the housing deposit will go towards that balance. If they have a zero balance on their Bursar, then the housing deposit will be refunded to the student.

Who lives in Wabash Building Residence?

All new students live in Wabash during their first year on campus. Returning students are welcome to continue living in Wabash. Many choose to live in our other residence hall, University Center, for their second year and beyond.

What room types are available in Wabash Building Residence?

Wabash offers single, double and triple rooms. All rooms are suite style which means residents of a suite share a common space, bathroom, and shower. Suites are made up of different combinations of room types. For instance, a suite could be comprised of two double rooms or four single rooms.

  • Single bedrooms are occupied by one resident.
  • Double bedroom is shared by two residents.
  • Triple bedrooms are shared by three people.

Do you have single rooms with private bathrooms (Studio Apartments)?

All rooms are suite style which means that all residents share a bathroom with at least three other residents.

How much does living on-campus cost?

See our Room Rates page.

How do meal plans work? Am I required to have a meal plan?

Residents living in a suite-style room are required to have a meal plan. Residents of Wabash and University Center are assigned the smallest meal plan offered for their residence hall.

Students wanting to upgrade their meal plan, can contact the Office of Residence Life. We will explain the larger meal plan options and then make the requested change. Upgrades must be made prior to the beginning of the academic year or within the first three weeks of the Fall semester. Meal plan upgrades are applied for the full academic year.

Can I add a meal plan, if I live in an apartment?

Students living in an apartment at University Center can choose to add a meal plan. They can select from all meal plan options, including a specially designed apartment meal plan (150 meals for the year).

Can I opt out of a meal plan?

Students seeking exemption from the required meal plan must submit medical documentation that clearly demonstrates that their food needs cannot be met through the dining center. Documentation should be submitted to the Office of Residence Life. The dining center will review the documentation and make a determination.

When can I move in?

Please visit our Move-In Information page for details about your assigned day and time.

What furniture is provided in my room?

All rooms include a desk, a chair, a wardrobe with drawers, and twin XL bed.

How can I order a microfridge?

You may rent a microfridge through BedLoft. BedLoft can be contacted at or 866.651.5638. The cost is $179.99 per unit. The pre-order deadline is July 27th. After the pre-order deadline, the price is increased to $199.99 and units will be delivered after move-in.

How can I get my bed lofted?

You must order a lofting kit through Bedloft. BedLoft can be contacted at or (866.651.5638). Roosevelt University Physical Resources will loft your bed. To un-loft a bed, contact the Office of Residence Life or place a work order through RU Access.

Where do I pick up my mail and how do I get mail sent to me?

Students will receive an email at the beginning of the semester with their assigned mailbox and combination. Packages will arrive in the Mail Room in the 1st floor of Auditorium Building (AUD 109). Letters and packages need to be sent to this address:

425 S. Wabash Ave.,
WBRH# (mailbox number),
Chicago, IL 60605

How do I get something fixed in my room?

Students can submit a work orderfor the Wabash Building through RU Access or by visiting the Office of Residence Life on 14th Floor. Work orders can be put in through the housing portal on RU Access under the maintenance tab. Students may also come to the Office of Residence Life and we will place a work order on their behalf.

Where is the laundry room in Wabash?

The laundry room is on the 15th Floor. You can use coins or a debit or credit card to operate the machines. They are $1.25 per load. Use Laundry View to check the status of your machines. See open washers and dryers, when busy ones will be free and how much time is left on machines you are using.

Roommate and Suitemate Agreements

These documents will be used when you move in to make agreements with your applicable roommates and/or suitemates. It will be helpful to look at the topics you will be discussing as you get to know your roommates and/or suitemates before moving in.

  • Roommate Agreement
  • Suitemate Agreement

Can I change my room assignment?

Room Change Week occurs three weeks into each semester. During room change week only, students may email the Coordinator for Housing Administration (CHA) with their specific move request. They may need to schedule a meeting with the CHA during the week of room changes. The CHA will determine the student’s new room assignment and their move date.

Can I have a guest under the age of 18 in Wabash?

Guests under the age of 18 are called minor visitors. Residents requesting to host a minor visitor, during the day or overnight, need to submit the Minor Visitor Form to the Office of Residence Life. The Graduate Coordinator for Operations and Media will verify all information provided and contact the resident with a decision.

How long can my guest stay?

Residents are allowed 2 overnight guests per resident on any given night. Overnight hours are between 12am and 6am. Residents may host overnight guest(s) a total of 9 nights per month. An overnight guest may only stay 9 nights in the residence hall within any given month, regardless of which resident checks them in. Overnight guests are not permitted to stay more than 3 consecutive nights in a row, without prior approval from the Office of Residence Life.

If a student would like their overnight guest to stay more than the allotted 3 nights, then they must complete a Guest Extension Form and get permission from everyone in their suite for the extension. All suitemates can either email the Graduate Hall Coordinator for Community Development or sign the Guest Extension Form. If approved, the guest can stay for up to 6 consecutive days.

Am I required to have the Roosevelt University Student Health Insurance Plan?

Roosevelt University requires all F1 and J1 visa students, pharmacy students, athletes, and all students residing on campus to be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. In accordance with this requirement, all students must submit a decision form indicating whether they would like to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan offered through Roosevelt University or waive the Student Health Insurance Plan by submitting proof of comparable coverage.

How can I cancel my housing contract?

To cancel your housing contract, please submit a completed Contract Cancellation Request Form with all required documentation to the Office of Residence Life. Students who cancel their contract before July 15, will get their deposit back. If a student completes their application after the July 15th deadline, they will have 7 calendar days after signing to cancel the housing contract. If a student fails to meet release criteria explained on the form, their contract cancellation request may be denied. Students, who are released from their contract after July 15, forfeit their housing deposit.