Your Success Honored
The Office of Veteran Services is the central point of contact for all veterans, military service members and dependents using VA education benefits. We offer information about available, appropriate academic counseling, financial aid counseling and student support services at Roosevelt University. Consider us your base: dedicated to serving you on and off campus, before and after graduation.
Resources Dedicated to You
Roosevelt recognizes the remarkable contributions made by members of our armed services and the challenges associated with transitioning into a civilian setting. Our student resources reflect this, with support from faculty and staff members who honor the needs of veteran services. Veterans are encouraged and welcome to take advantage of the many resources the University offers:
- Academic Success Center
- Career Development
- Center for Student Involvement
- Counseling Center
- Veteran Resource Center
Your Education Benefits
Our Veteran Resource Center, as well as other University offices, are committed to assisting you in utilizing and navigating the benefits you deserve as a veteran. These include:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill® | Individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or those who have been discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, are eligible to received financial support for education and housing expenses.
- Yellow Ribbon Program | The Yellow Ribbon Program is a voluntary agreement between Roosevelt University and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs that covers out-of-pocket expenses for tuition and eligible fees above the annual VA maximum for private universities.
- Veterans Upward Bound | Veterans Upward Bound at Roosevelt is a pre-college readiness program designed to help eligible students hone their academic skills before starting college. Roosevelt's Veterans Upward Bound program is the only veterans Federal TRIO Program in Illinois.
- DoD Tuition Assistance | The Department of Defense (DoD) offers financial aid to active duty service members and their families participating in voluntary education (VolEd) programs.
- Financial Aid and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) | All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid. Most federal veteran educational benefits can be used in conjunction with other forms of federal or state aid.
DoD Tuition Assistance
Roosevelt University complies with all requirements of the Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding. With the guidelines for use of Military Tuition Assistance (TA) managed by each individual military service branch, students wishing to use Military TA should contact their military unit first to determine both eligibility and availability of Military TA funds. Once approved by your unit, contact the Office of Veterans Services (OVS) for assistance in submitting the proper documents to the university.
Per DoD TA requirements, Military TA must be requested and approved prior to the start date of the each term. Service members can register for classes prior to securing Military TA but they will be solely responsible for all tuition costs until approval is obtained from their military service branch and the proper documents are submitted to the university. Only courses listed in the service member’s evaluated education plan will be approved for Military TA.
Additional information on Military TA can be found by visiting a specific Military Service education portal:
If this is your first time setting up tuition assistance, or if you have relocated to a new base, you may need additional documents to complete the military TA process. Please contact your direct Supervisor or your base education office for more information. Additional information can be found on the Air Force Reserve website or the Air Force Education Services Programs website.
Air National Guard:
Please visit the Air National Guard website to review your federal entitlements. Furthermore, you may also be eligible to receive additional state education entitlements if you reside within a participating state. If you have additional questions, please contact your local ANG education office.
Army, Army Reserve and National Guard:
To ensure your Military TA voucher is accurate, you must obtain correct course information from your military admissions advisor. For more information about the automated TA process, visit goarmyed.com. To learn more about your Tuition Assistance "Top-Up" benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website.
Please contact your Education Service Officer for guidance on applying for TA.
Marines and Marine Corps Reserve:
First-time students must complete a TA Orientation Class PRIOR to using TA. Marines at remote sites (non-Marine Corps installations) may access the course by visiting usmc-mccs.org. All others: please proceed to your local base Lifelong Learning or Education Office.
Navy and Navy Reserve:
If this is your first time setting up tuition assistance, or if you have relocated to a new base, you may need additional educational counseling from your Navy College Office in person, by phone or via email. Please contact your direct Supervisor or Navy College Office for more information.
Use of Military TA with Financial Aid and VA Education Benefits:
Military TA can be used concurrently with both financial aid and VA education benefits if eligibility exists. Per DoD rules, Military TA cannot be used with the Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve Program (CH1606) or the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (CH1607). Students should submit their FAFSA to be considered for financial aid and discuss eligibility for VA education benefits with the OVS.
For more detailed information regarding the federal resources available to our veterans, visit the United States Department of Veteran Affairs online.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.