The RUA is an assessment tool used to determine a student’s placement into required English and Math classes. Completion of the RUA or evaluation of current ACT or SAT scores is required before students may register for courses. The RUA is a proctored, computerized test composed of three sections - Reading, Writing, and Math..
Who needs to take the RUA?
- Freshmen and transfer students who have not taken the ACT or SAT scores within the past two years are required to take the RUA before registering for classes.
- For freshman and transfer students who have taken the ACT or SAT in the past two years and have not completed college-level English or Math since the test was taken, placement will be determined by these scores.
- Students may take the RUA if they wish to take a higher-level English and Math than their ACT or SAT placed them.
- Transfer students who bring in appropriate college-level English and Math courses for their degree are exempt from one or both portions of the RUA.
- Contact the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
How long does the RUA take?
Most students complete the English and Math exam in less than three hours, but there is no time limit.
How much does the RUA cost?
There is no charge for taking the RUA at either campus.
What if I am not local?
If you live outside of the Chicago area, please email email@example.com to arrange to take the RUA at a location convenient to your local area. Please include your Name, Student ID Number, and full address. Some fees may apply.
When and where can I take the RUA test?
Until further notice, all testing will take place remotely. Students will complete the RUA using Zoom and be monitored by a Roosevelt proctor. Clink on the link below to register for an online test session. You will be directed to Eventbrite to complete your registration.
* You will be required to create a free Eventbrite account if you do not already have one.
What do I need to bring?
Students must provide their RU ID number and photo ID to take the test. No calculators, phones or test aides are permitted without medical documentation.
Take a Sample Test
Roosevelt University uses the following College Board Accuplacer Tests:
- Reading Comprehension
- Elementary Algebra
- College Level Math
Sample tests for all of these areas can be found online through the Accuplacer Web-Based Study App. A sample test can be taken after creating a free account.