One of the assessment tools used to insure appropriate placement into required English and math classes is the Roosevelt University Assessment (RUA). Completion of the RUA or evaluation of current ACT scores is required before students may register for courses at Roosevelt University. The RUA is a proctored, computerized test composed of three sections - Reading, Writing, and Math.
Do I need to take the RUA test?
- Freshmen who have not taken the ACT or SAT scores within the past two years are required to take the RUA before registering for classes.
- If you are a freshman and have taken the ACT or SAT in the past two years and have not completed college level English or math since the test was taken, your placement will be determined by these scores.
- Freshmen are encouraged to take the RUA if they wish an opportunity to place into higher level English and math.
- Transfer students who bring in appropriate college-level English and math courses for their degree may be exempt from one or both portions of the RUA.
- If you are not sure if you are required to take the RUA, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How long does the RUA test take?
Most students complete the entire exam in less than two hours, but there is no time limit and you may take as much time as you need.
How much does the RUA cost?
There is no charge for taking the RUA at either campus.
What if I am not local?
If you live outside of the Chicago area, please email email@example.com to arrange to take the RUA at a location convenient to your local area. Please include your Name, Student ID Number, and full address.
When can I take the RUA test?
Testing Labs are open on a flexible schedule with individualized start times at both the Chicago and Schaumburg campuses. Click the link for the campus at which you would like to take the RU Assessment. You will be directed to Eventbrite to complete your registration.
* You will be required to create a free Eventbrite account if you do not already have one.
What do I need to bring?
Students will be required to provide their RU ID number when they sign up for the test and when reporting to take the test.
Take a Sample Test
Roosevelt University uses the following College Board Accuplacer Tests:
- Reading Comprehension
- Elementary Algebra
- College Level Math
Sample tests for all of these areas can be found online through the Accuplacer Web-Based Study App. A sample test can be taken after creating a free account.