Search Roosevelt University
Students in Africa

Current Students: Study Abroad

More in this section...

Study abroad is a once in a lifetime chance to travel, study and live in a foreign country. While pursuing a degree at Roosevelt University, you will have the opportunity to study abroad for a semester, summer or academic year. You can earn Roosevelt credit for your pre-approved study abroad program, and your study abroad experience will be listed on your transcript!

Study abroad can be affordable and there are many wonderful scholarship opportunities available. Students eligible for financial aid can apply some or all of their aid awards towards study abroad programs.  Roosevelt offers three types of programs, you can find more details in the sections below.

  1. Exchanges Programs - agreements with partner institutions
  2. Approved Study Abroad Programs -  additional providers for locations where RU does not have partner institutions
  3. Short Programs Led by RU Faculty - travel-based classes for RU credit
Where Can I Go? Roosevelt Exchange Programs

Currently, Roosevelt University has established and maintains a reciprocal student exchange program with the following institutions. If you choose an exchange you will pay RU tuition.

Australia: Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology

RMIT offers programs and courses ranging from post-graduate degrees by research to employment focused degrees and certificates. RMIT has a reputation for excellence in work-relevant education and high quality resources. Courses are constantly updated to meet changing needs of business and the broader community. Courses are available in many fields including art, business, communication, computing and information technology, social sciences, engineering, education, health and medical sciences, justice and legal matters, and science.

Australia: University of Melbourne - CCPA students only

The University of Melbourne is located in Melbourne, Australia. It is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world. Melbourne provides students with a well-rounded education that will help them meet career aspirations and life goals. Melbourne degrees incorporate six broad undergraduate degrees including arts, biomedicine, commerce, environments, music, and science. This system places Melbourne at the forefront of educational reforms in the country.

Australia: University of Sydney

Sydney is a bustling global city set around one of the world's most beautiful harbors. Close to countless stunning beaches, including the famous Bondi Beach, Sydney is bursting with exciting attractions and opportunities. The University of Sydney's Camperdown/Darlington campus is minutes away from the city center via efficient public transport.

China: Hubei University - requires Chinese language proficiency

Hubei University is located in Wuhan, the capital of Central China’s Hubei Province. Hubei University is a key comprehensive university covering arts, history, philosophy, science, engineering, economics, law, management, education, and medicine. The main campus offers 61 undergraduate programs, and 149 postgraduate programs. Student enrollment is approximately 20,000. Students must have Chinese language proficiency to attend Hubei University.

England: London Metropolitan University

LMU is a diverse and vibrant university right in the center of London. LMU offers courses from design to life sciences; from business to computing; and law to anthropology. The university prides itself on delivering affordable quality education with the goals of transforming lives, meeting needs, and building careers.

England: London South Bank University

LSBU’s International Study Abroad programme brings students together from all over the world. By studying at LSBU, students become part of an integrated Study Abroad community on an incredibly diverse campus. As an International Study Abroad student you will be able to choose modules from across the University. In addition to the three modules chosen, all Study Abroad students take one of our Study Abroad specific modules: ‘London: City of Change’ or ‘Made in London’. These allow students to learn about the history, culture, and fashion of London with specialist teaching. Within these, there is the opportunity to take tailored trips exclusive to international Study Abroad students to places such as The Royal Museums Greenwich and Shakespeare’s Globe.

England: Royal Northern College of Music - CCPA students only

The RNCM is a world class conservatoire located in the heart of Manchester. This program is open to eligible CCPA students. RNCM offers the hallmarks of a classic higher education experience amongst the hustle and bustle of an international renowned conservatoire. RNCM is also an arts center with four public venues. Music flows from every pore of the purpose built college building and there is a crackle of energy and creative abundance amongst students, artists, and audiences that ensures RNCM’s position as a major international center for education, training, and performance.

England: University of Sussex

Located in Sussex in the United Kingdom, and founded in the 1960’s, Sussex has become a leading teaching and research institution. With over 13,000 students, creative thinking, pedagogic diversity, intellectual challenge, and interdisciplinarity have always been fundamental to a Sussex education. Sussex offers a wide variety of academic programs and is ranked as one of the top universities in Europe. This exchange program is open to all, but history majors are preferred.

Finland: Sibelius Academy - CCPA students only

Sibelius Academy is located in Helsinki, Finland and is open to all eligible CCPA students. The academy is responsible for providing the highest level of music education in Finland. It trains artists skilled in independent artistic work, teachers and other music professionals. Sibelius Academy is also responsible for developing the Finnish music culture and fostering music tradition. There are over 1,400 students in the academy who study such things as classical music performance, composition and music theory, conducting, jazz, music education, folk and church music, and music technology.

Germany: University of Tübingen - requires German language proficiency

The University of Tubingen is located in Tubingen Germany. It is one of Europe’s oldest universities and was founded in 1477. The university offers programs in protestant theology, catholic theology, law, medicine, sciences, humanities, economics, and social sciences. With over 26,000 students, the University of Tubingen is committed to the highest standards of research and teaching across a broad spectrum of subjects. Students who are proficient in German are welcome to apply.

Netherlands: Tilburg University

Tilburg University is a dynamic institution with top quality education and research, a compact campus and excellent facilities (library, computers, and sports). The university also has a strong commitment to international cooperation, with a goal of offering all classes in English in the near future. UI business students will find ample coursework in English available in economics, business administration, information management, international business, international economics and finance. An intensive Dutch language course is also offered. To see an updated list of course offerings for this program, go here .

Poland: Cracow University of Economics

The Cracow University of Economics is Poland’s largest university of economics and has been operating since 1925. Programs are offered in economics and international relations, management, finance, and commodity science. Specially designed programs in English are offered for international students.

South Africa: University of KwaZulu-Natal

The University of Kwazulu-Natal is located in the picturesque province of Kwazulu-Natal in South Africa. It is a teaching and research-led university with a proud and rich heritage of academic excellence. UKZN offers an exceptionally wide range of exciting and innovative courses that will broaden perspectives, foster a capacity for independent critical thinking, and provide intellectual tools to develop your mind, while enhancing your career opportunities in the local and global marketplace.

Spain: Carlos III University

The Carlos III University of Madrid (UC3M) consists of three schools: the School of Social Science and Law, the School of Humanities and the School of Engineering situated on three different campuses in Getafe, Leganes and Colmenarejo. The university strives to contribute to the improvement of society by offering quality education and carrying out advanced research in accordance with demanding international criteria. UC3M aspires to excellence in all its endeavors with the objective of becoming one of the best universities in Europe.

Turkey: Kadir Has University

Kadir Has University (KHU) was founded in 1997, in Istanbul. The university has five faculties: Engineering and Natural Sciences, Economics and Administrative Studies, Communication, Law, and Fine Arts, as well as several vocational schools. KHU is dedicated to becoming a leader in educational and cultural fields in Turkey, as well as establishing itself as an international center for research and scientific development.

Where Can I Go? Approved Study Abroad Programs

Roosevelt has agreements with the following organizations for study abroad and internships abroad. If you want to study in a country where RU does not have an exchange, you may be able to find it through one of these programs. The costs for these programs may be higher or lower than your RU tuition.

Programs not on this list may also be considered with approval from the study abroad office. You may find additional programs on the following sites:

Where Can I Go? Short Programs Led by RU Faculty

Roosevelt offers classes that include an international travel component, usually 7 – 14 days in length, to augment the content delivered in the classroom. Many of the university’s most vibrant and engaging faculty members have led student groups on faculty-led programs. In a typical scenario, students in a particular program (such as Honors) or major (such as Integrated Marketing Communications) may enroll in an upper-level class that includes international travel as a required component of the class.

Because faculty-led programs are designed for specific cohorts and classes, they tend to be advertised heavily to students in a specific department, major or cohort. However, if you wish to check available classes, you can search the RU Class Schedule by selecting "Travel Based Course" under Attributes

Participants pay a fee for the travel portion of the class; this fee is in addition to tuition charges. Trip cost and payment instructions will be distributed to students at the time of application. Trip charges are paid to the Office of International Programs.

Spring 2018 Travel-Based Classes

Three classes will be offered in Spring 2018.  To register please complete the Faculty-Led Trip Registration form linked to below, pay the $400 deposit, and register for the class via RU Access.  To find classes that include a travel component, please select “Travel Based Course” under Attributes on the RU Course Finder

  • BIOL 369/ BIOL 469: Conservation Biology – Tropical Africa: Tropical Africa is a 10 day, field-based course that will largely be carried out in the Amani Nature Reserve, Tanzania, where Dr. Norbert Cordeiro (Roosevelt University) and Dr. Henry Ndangalasi (University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania) have been working since 1998. Field work will include (i) conducting applied ecological studies relevant to conservation in the area, (ii) discussing and problem-solving issues of poverty and conservation affecting human access to resources, (iii) meeting with Tanzanian stakeholders to gain an appreciation of the complexities of the solutions required to conserve one of the world’s most important forests. Students will also spend 2 days in a savannah habitat at one of Tanzania’s premier national parks. This course will involve designing ecological experiments, experimental manipulation, statistical analyses, intensive field and laboratory exercises, and scientific report writing. For more information on this class, please contact Dr. Norbert Cordeiro.
  • HIST 354-10/HIST 454-10: History and Memory of WWII in the US and Europe: This course considers the Second World War from the perspective of ordinary people, victims of oppression, resisters, collaborators, common soldiers as well as political and military leaders. It also examines the collective memory of the war--how it was and is remembered in Europe and the United States in film and popular culture. The course includes a two-week study abroad trip to Europe. For more information on this class, please contact Dr. Margaret Rung.
  • IMC 381/ IMC 481: International Marketing Cultures: Course consists of a 12-14-day study excursion abroad. Students will engage in a focused, intensive, university- and culturally-based learning experience. Participate in lectures/ discussions conducted both by RU and host-institution faculty, make site visits to a specific businesses/organizations, the agencies providing its marketing communications services, and other relevant locations to examine the character and scope of consumers and IMC practices in the featured country. For more information on this class, please contact Dr. Mary Ellen Schiller.
How Do I Pay? Scholarships and Financial Aid

When you decide to enroll in a study abroad program, you commit yourself not only to the thorough preparation necessary for you to experience the program’s full benefits, but also to a significant financial investment. Before applying to any program, you are urged to plan carefully and to be completely familiar with the complete cost of participation. In additional to tuition, housing and food, you will need to budget for airfare, local travel, books/supplies, and socializing.

All students who study abroad will be billed by Roosevelt University for at least a portion of the study abroad fee. The amount that you pay will vary according to the program you select. it is helpful if you know how you are paying your tuition and fee - scholarships, FAFSA®, personal funds, etc.

It's a good idea to review what is covered by you program fees. Is it just tuition or does it also include housing, travel, or other services? You can also apply for scholarships to study abroad.

Paying for Exchange Programs

Students participating in exchange programs will be charged Roosevelt University full-time undergraduate tuition. Housing*, meals*, airfare, and all other non-academic costs are the responsibility of the student. Because you will pay your tuition to Roosevelt this is a good option if you have a large amount of Roosevelt scholarship money.

*Participants on the exchange program at KwaZulu-Natal University in South Africa pay tuition, room, and board charges to Roosevelt University.

Paying for Approved Study Abroad Programs

Students pay the advertised cost of the affiliated program plus a $500 administrative fee to Roosevelt University. Your student account will be assessed the cost of your program several weeks before your departure. Unless otherwise instructed by OIP, you should not make payments to your host institution or program provider for any tuition or academic-related expenses. Furthermore, you must have a zero balance on your RU student account at the time of departure. If you have an outstanding balance from a previous semester, your study abroad registration will be purged and you will not be allowed to study abroad.

Please be sure to review what is covered by your program fees. Some approved programs may have a lower tuition cost. Some may initially appear to be much higher, but include housing or other services.

Paying for Faculty-led Programs

Participants pay a fee for the travel portion of the class; this fee is in addition to tuition charges. Trip cost and payment instructions will be distributed to students at the time of application. Trip charges are paid to the Office of International Programs.

Financial Aid

All study abroad participants, except those participating on faculty-led programs, must provide the study abroad advisor with a program cost breakdown after being admitted to a program. The advisor will prepare and submit a “Study Abroad Financial Need Worksheet” to the Financial Aid Office then inform you to schedule an appointment so a financial aid officer can review your aid package with you.

Below are general guideless on which types of financial aid can be used for study abroad:

  • Exchange Programs: Participants may apply federal, state and institutional financial aid, and tuition remission awards to the cost of the program. Work-study funds, RU housing grants, and performance scholarships cannot be used.
  • Affiliated Programs: Participants pay the advertised cost of the program plus a $500 fee to Roosevelt University to ensure the transfer of credit and to pay for administrative support of their participation may apply state and federal financial aid funds to the cost of an affiliated program. You will not be able to use Roosevelt scholarships and grants to these programs.
  • Faculty-led Programs: Although students who qualify for financial aid may apply that aid to the cost of the tuition charge for the class, there is no financial aid available for the travel portion of the fee. Scholarship funds may be available; inquire when applying.


Each year, more than $600,000 in scholarships and grants is awarded to deserving students. Funds are available for both summer and semester programs. A list of available scholarships can be found below. Questions regarding the specifics of each of these scholarships should be directed to the program of interest.

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships

Applications for are available at Boren Awards provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study in Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East, where they can add important international and language components to their educations.

Boren Scholars and Fellows represent a variety of academic backgrounds, but all are interested in studying less commonly taught languages, including but not limited to Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Swahili. As part of the African Languages Initiative, Boren Award applicants have the opportunity to further their study of Akan/Twi, Hausa, Portuguese, Swahili, Wolof, Yoruba, or Zulu. For a complete list of languages, visit

Undergraduate students can receive up to $20,000 for an academic year’s study abroad and graduate students up to $30,000 for language study and international research. In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year.

National Application Deadlines

  • Boren Fellowship: the application is normally due in January, please verify dates on the homepage
  • Boren Scholarship: the application is normally due in February, please verify dates on the homepage

Visit to find RU campus representative and check for campus deadlines.

For more information about the Boren Awards, to register for a webinar, and to access the on-line application, please visit You can also contact the Boren Awards staff at or 1-800-618-NSEP with questions.

The Boren Awards are initiatives of the National Security Education Program (NSEP) and are administered by the Institute of International Education.


The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government and is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. The Fulbright Program offers grants to study, teach and conduct research for U.S. citizens to go abroad and for non-U.S. citizens to come to the United States.


The Gilman Scholarship is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is open to U.S. undergraduate students who demonstrate high financial need.

Scholarships by Study Abroad Program

General Scholarship Information

When Should I Apply? Timelines

You should begin the process at least 1 full semester before you wish to study abroad; it is helpful to begin 1 year in advance.

General Timeline
Fall:           January -
Spring:     August
Summer: January - 
  • Explore scholarship opportunities.  Please note deadlines for scholarships are often quite early; e.g. the Gilman Deadline is in March for fall & summer; October for spring.
  • Review your financial aid to decide if an exchange or affiliated program best fits your needs.
  • Explore Programs
  • Consult with academic advisor about the classes you need to complete your degree.  If you have not used them, it is a good idea to save some general education or elective credits to use when you study abroad.
  • Consult International Programs if you have questions about the process
  • Submit selected courses to OIP with course descriptions
  • Apply for a passport if you do not already have one
Fall:           March - April
Spring:     September
Summer: March 
Fall:           May
Spring:     October
Summer: Early April
Fall:           May - June
Spring:     November
Summer: April - early May
  • Meet with Ms. Banks in Financial Aid.
  • Submit proof of health insurance and passport photo.
  • Confirm study abroad registration and student account balance via RUAccess or in person.
  • Finalize payment arrangements.
First week after you arrive at your study abroad site
  • Check-in with OIP to verify your contact information (phone, address, and email)
  • Confirm the courses you are taking and report any changes that were not previously approved.
Before you return home
  • Verify that a transcript will be sent from the host institution to OIP.
  • Verify if you need special arrangements for completing coursework before you leave.
1-2 Months after you return to RU
  • Roosevelt will receive a transcript. Please note that grades from some locations may take longer to be received.
  • Verify that your classes have been posted and that your grades are accurate.
How Do I Get Started?
  1. Select a program

    • Explore study abroad programs at the Office of International Programs. Your choice of programs will be influenced by academics, geographic location and finances.
    • Do you want to study in English of another language? Study abroad is a great way to learn another language or improve your second language skills!
    • Consult your academic advisor to determine remaining degree requirements.
    • If you have general education requirements or electives remaining these are often a good choice for study abroad as there is more flexibility in what class you may take.
    • Discuss desire to study abroad with family members.
    • Carefully assess to total cost of the study abroad program you have selected.
  2. Talk to your Academic Advisor

    Let your advisor know your would like to study abroad. This will help you plan your classes.

    • Are there classes in your major you can take while studying abroad? If not how many electives do you have?
    • What classes must you take at Roosevelt? When are they offered?
    • Have you taken all of your general education requirements? This is a great way to fulfill requirements for humanities and social sciences!
  3. Request permission to apply to study abroad

    • Submit a Request for Permission to Apply to Study Abroad Form to the Office of International Programs 
    • You will receive notification electronically through DocuSign when your request has been approved. You may only complete the program application after receiving this approval.
  4. Apply to program

    • Please check application deadlines and fees for your selected programs.
    • Submit a copy of your application to the Office of International Programs.
  5. Upon admission to program

    • Complete the Approval to Study Abroad Form.  Please attach your admission letter or email to this form.
    • If you have fewer than 30 hours remaining to complete your degree, complete the Exception Request to the Residency Requirement: Final 30-Hour Rule.
    • If you have a housing contract for the next semester, talk to the Office of Residence Life about the necessary steps to break your housing contract (for spring semester students). 
    • Pay program deposit and submit signed contract to program (as requested by program).
    • Review the classes offered in your program and select the courses you would like to take.  Submit the Study Abroad - Course Approval Form  to receive pre-approval for your classes.
  6. Upon arrival at program

    • Notify the Office of International Programs when you arrive in your study abroad site. Please provide your local address and contact information.
    • If you would like to take classes that have not been pre-approved by Roosevelt University contact International Programs.  You may need to complete a Study Abroad - Course Approval Form for the additional classes.
  7. Before returning to RU

    Request official transcripts from your program. Official transcripts must be sent to

    Roosevelt University
    Office of International Programs, WB 116
    430 South Michigan Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60605

  8. Upon return to RU

    Complete a study abroad program evaluation.

To learn more, visit the office. Also watch your RU broadcast messages for study abroad information sessions, info tables in the cafeteria, and the fall Study Abroad Fair.