Gallagher Student Health providers with United Health Care as our student health insurance provider.
Participation in the student health insurance plan is required for:
- all students living in university housing at the Chicago Campus
- all College of Pharmacy students
- all currently enrolled F1 and J1 visa International students
The online waiver for 2017-18 is available - Online Waiver
- Go to Online Waiver
- Click on ‘Student Waive/Enroll’.
- Log in. Your user name is your Roosevelt University email address. The first time you log in, your temporary password will be your student ID number. You will be required to change your password the first time you log in.
- Complete the decision form:
- If waiving coverage, have your current health insurance ID card ready as you will need this information in order to complete the waiver portion of the decision form.
- You will be asked to review the information provided and click ‘submit’ to complete the process.
- Immediately upon submitting your Online Form you will receive a reference number. Please note and keep this information in your files.
- If enrolling, please complete the requested information. Your ID card will be available online 7-10 business days after your eligibility has been confirmed
Insurance for Voluntary Students
- Short term student health insurance:
Students can obtain short term health insurance (up to 11 months of coverage) from https://www.gallagherstudent.com/products/short-term-medical-insurance. These plans are NOT ACA compliant, but offer an excellent temporary solution for students between plans, graduating students, or students waiting for healthcare.gov open enrollment period.
- Healthcare.gov: https://www.healthcare.gov
- For students with low or no income, healthcare.gov continues to be an excellent option since the government will provide financial subsidies.
- Open enrollment dates are November 1, 2016 to January 31, 2017. Outside of these dates, students may obtain coverage if they have a qualifying event.
No Voluntary Enrollment
Only students who are part of our “hard waiver” categories are able to sign up for the Roosevelt Student Health Insurance Plan. These are our Resident, International and Pharmacy students mentioned above who have the insurance requirement. Insurance companies no longer allow us to give all of our students the opportunity to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
If students who are not in the “required, hard waiver” category are in need of medical insurance, they can go to the government exchange at Healthcare.gov
- Because the student who wishes to “voluntarily” enroll but is no longer allowed to enroll for insurance coverage through the school, they can qualify for a special enrollment period citing that they lost qualifying health coverage in the past 60 days or in the next 60 days.
The student health insurance fee ($1690) is charged to all students who are required to have health insurance. Students have two options:
- enroll in the Roosevelt student plan or
- waive the insurance because they have equivalent coverage.
The $1690 insurance charge will appear on your account until you waive. Students must successfully complete the online waiver application to be successfully waived from this requirement. The waiver must be filled out before the advertised deadline. If you do not complete the waiver or you are not approved by the deadline of September 15, 2017, you will be automatically enrolled in the plan and will be responsible for the $1690 payment of the Roosevelt insurance plan.
All insurance questions should be directed to Gallagher at 1-844-329-1394 or visit Gallagher Student to ‘Live Chat’ with a student health insurance specialist.