Why study English at RU?
- Become an RU student from the very beginning. Your classmates will all be Roosevelt students and you can live on campus. You’ll be part of the RU community from the first day.
- Get credit toward your undergraduate degree. Students can apply up to 15 credits of ELP courses toward their degree.
- Transition easily to your degree. You won’t need to submit any test scores, such as TOEFL or IELTS, to start your degree program.
- Small classes, great teachers. Our instructors understand the needs of students with different educational and cultural backgrounds.
- Start your degree while you finish ELP. The final level of ELP allows some advanced students the opportunity to start their degree classes while completing English language study.
- Adjust to life in Chicago and on campus. The ELP staff is always willing to answer your questions and help you adjust to life at RU. Check out our elpcommunicate blog to see how ELP connects students to Chicago and the University.
To see whether you qualify for Roosevelt's ELP program or if can go directly into your degree, you must do one of the following:
- Take the RU English Language Proficiency Test upon arrival at RU and complete all English language support classes that are required on the basis of the placement test results. Please see the ELP Placement Testing page for more information.
- Present TOEFL or IELTS test scores that meet the RU standards. Please see the RU English proficiency requirements.
- Transfer 30 credit hours from a U.S. college or university, including the equivalents of ENG 101 and ENG 102.