Chicago 430 S. Michigan Ave.Chicago, IL 60605(312) 341-3500
Schaumburg 1400 N. Roosevelt Blvd.Schaumburg, IL 60173(847) 619-7300
A dramatic two-story main lobby greets visitors and students when they enter the building. With the offices of admission, registration and financial aid near one another, people may feel like they are in a series of interconnected neighborhoods. The first five floors of the building are devoted to student services and student life activities, floors six through 13 are populated with academic classrooms, laboratories and offices and floors 14 through 31 are dedicated to residential life. The 32-story building was completed in March 2012, and currently celebrating it's inaugural academic year. The structure is 469 feet tall, 100 feet across and 170 feet deep.
The top 17 floors of the building is an upscale residence hall for more than 600 Roosevelt University students. There are 295 private rooms, 320 beds in double occupancy rooms and 18 rooms for resident assistants. And, by city of Chicago ordinance, no building near Grant Park can be erected east of Michigan Avenue. Consequently, the top 22 floors of the new building always will have unobstructed views of Lake Michigan.
Students, faculty and staff can exercise in the building’s recreation center and eat in the dining hall which can accommodate 300 people at one time. There are also offices and meeting rooms for student clubs and organizations.
The building has increased classroom space at the Chicago Campus by 40 percent. It contains seven regular-size classrooms with seats for 36 or fewer students, four tiered classrooms with seats for 60 to 80 students and three auditorium-style classrooms with seats for 78 to 108 students.
Three floors are devoted to science education. Biology, chemistry and physics professors helped design the state-of-the-art teaching and research laboratories. The science faculty also have their offices here.
Roosevelt’s Walter E. Heller College of Business moved from the Gage Building into the new skyscraper. A special feature for business students will be a learning lab trading room.
In keeping with Roosevelt’s commitment to being a “green” university, the building is one of the few high rise structures in Chicago that is LEED-certified, meaning it meets requirements for sustainability, water efficiency, energy usage, materials and indoor environmental air quality.
The façade of the former Fine Arts Annex, created in 1924 by renowned architect Andrew Rebori, was preserved and is currently part of the University bookstore entrance at the north end of the new building. Some of Chicago’s best-known firms worked on the project. VOA, the architectural firm and The John Buck Co., development manager and Power Construction Co., general contractor. A number of subcontractors, including many women and minority-owned firms, worked on the project.
The glass and steel building is an architecturally significant counterpart to the grey limestone of the Auditorium Building, a national historic landmark. The new building complements the strength of the Auditorium Building’s appearance.
There are still numerous opportunities for alumni and friends of the University to support this exciting building. Contributions can also be allocated for the purchase of furniture and fixtures. For further information, contact Jan Parkin, interim vice president for Institutional Advancement.