Veterans Upward Bound
Preparing Student Veterans for College and Beyond
Listen to an interview with Dinu Skariah of Veterans Upward Bound on Blog Talk Radio - July 18, 2013
Director of Veterans Upward Bound - Christopher Chalko
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) at Roosevelt University is the only veterans Federal TRiO Program funded by the United States Department of Education in the State of Illinois. VUB is a pre-college program designed to assist eligible student veterans prepare for entry into the college program of their choice by "knocking the rust off their academic skills." Most veterans, who have not completed a bachelor's degree, may be eligible for the VUB program. All VUB services are free to eligible veterans.
Students in the Veterans Upward Bound Program receive:
- Assessment of college readiness
- Classroom instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, and other essential subjects
- One-on-one tutoring and computer-based instruction
- Academic, financial aid, and personal counseling
- Information on and assistance in taking advantage of post-secondary education
- Assistance in completing college admission and financial aid applications
- Employment, college preparation, and study-skills workshops
Applicants who wish to be in the program must:
- Meet the low-income eligibility criteria as established by the U.S. government
- Meet first-generation college status, i.e., parents do not have a bachelor's degree
- Must have served in the U.S. military for 181 days or more on active duty
- Must have a military discharge OTHER THAN dishonorable
- Show a need for academic support to successfully pursue a post-secondary education
To apply for the Veterans Upward Bound program, call (312) 462-7534 or visit VUB at 18 S. Michigan Ave. on the 7th Floor (GB 715).
Visit NAVUB for additional information about VUB programs in other parts of the U.S. and Puerto Rico.