Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

Look here for answers to your graduation questions!


 Read on for answers to your graduation questions and important information about awarding of degrees and Commencement ceremonies. For more specifics about graduation requirements, refer to the undergraduate or graduate catalog for the term in which you entered.

Don’t see your question?  Please feel free to call or e-mail Graduation Services:  312-341-3591 


Applying for Graduation

When can I apply for graduation?

You will not automatically be signed up for graduation once you complete requirements.  You must fill out an application.  You should speak with your advisor when you are nearing completion of our degree requirements to find out what term you would be graduating.  Once that is decided, the Graduation page will provide you with the application deadlines.

I missed the RU Access deadline, is there a fee for the late application?

Yes.  Starting in the fall 2013 term all late applications received after the Ru Access online deadline will be charged a $100.00 no exceptions. All late applications can be completed online and are sent to Graduation Services for processing.  You will receive an email confirmation when the application received and another status email once your department has reviewed your application.  Applications must be submitted to Graduation Services office by the posted late application deadline.  See all graduation application deadlines.  For the late application click here.

Do I need to fill out an application if I am not participating in the ceremony?

Yes.  The application is primarily for the processing and posting of your degree.  You can indicate on the electronic application if you do/do not wish to participate in the ceremony.  If you selected “no”, “undecided,” or “no response” and have since changed your mind, or applied by late application, you can attend one of the Salute to Graduate Events and check in for the ceremony at that time or contact Graduation Service via .   Application information are listed on the main Graduation page.

Where do I complete my exit counseling for financial aid?

See Financial Aid, Forms and Applications


When is Commencement?

Detailed information about the Commencement ceremonies for the current term can be found on the Commencement Information and Future dates can be found on the Graduation Services page.

How do I purchase my cap and gown?

For cap and Gown purchasing information, please click here.

How many tickets do we get for Commencement?

There are no tickets for commencement.  Seating is offered on a first-come, first-serve basis.

How long is the ceremony?

In the Spring there are two ceremonies that approximately 90 minutes each.  For the fall term there is only one ceremony, so plan for 90 to 120 minutes.

When do the doors open for guests?

Doors open approximately an hour before each ceremony for general seating.

How do I arrange for Accessible seating for myself or guests?

Accessible seating will be available for guests, and there is no RSVP required.  Doors open one hour and thirty minutes prior to commencement.  The Accessible guest entrance is East of the general Auditorium Theatre.

Where should I meet my guests after the ceremony?

The Auditorium Theatre lobby has to be immediately cleared after each ceremony.  After your respective ceremony, it is suggested you meet your family in the Congress and Fainman Lounges on the second floor of the Michigan building.

What is the difference between commencement and graduation and when have I officially graduated?

Commencement is the ceremony and Graduation is the official posting and reporting of your degree.  Participation in a ceremony does not mean you have graduated.  You have officially graduated once your degree has posted to your transcript.

In order to receive your diploma or official transcripts all balances must be paid in full.

Diplomas and Transcripts

Will my diploma show my major?

No.  Diplomas will only show the degree earned.  Majors, minors, concentrations and will appear on your official transcript.

How do I request a duplicate diploma?

Duplicate diplomas are available upon request for a $50.00 fee.  Duplicate Diploma Request Form - [PDF]

When will my diploma be released?

For complete information, see the Graduation page.  Please be sure to update graduation services with any address changes.  All changes should be submitted to to receive a confirmation of the change.

Can a friend or family member pick up my transcripts?

A friend or family member can only pick up your transcripts if there is a signed release from you giving them authorization.  It must be in letter form, with your signature, must include your ID number, and the friend or family members’ name.  The friend or family member must also present a current driver’s license or state ID.  No exceptions. 

What happens to my diploma if I owe a balance?

If a balance is owed at the time of graduation, your diploma will NOT be ordered until the balance is paid in full.  Graduation Services is not automatically notified when your account is current.  Once the balance is paid in full, you must contact Graduation Services to make arrangements for the printing and release:  312-341-3591 or