Academic Renewal Policy
The spirit of the Academic Renewal Policy is to provide a fresh start to students seeking their first undergraduate degree after being away from Roosevelt University during the last three or more years. Students seeking academic renewal have performed below the required grade point average (GPA) standards during an earlier attempt at Roosevelt University. Academic Renewal is for undergraduate students seeking their first Roosevelt University bachelor’s degree only. The policy is applied on an individual basis. In order to be considered for academic renewal, students must complete an Application for Academic Renewal, and submit it to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising, before applying for readmission to Roosevelt University.
The deadline to petition for academic renewal to return for the fall semester is August 1.
The deadline to petition for academic renewal to return for spring semester is December 1.
What you should know about Academic Renewal
When choosing this option to return to Roosevelt University, students should note the following:
- The Academic Renewal option may be used only once in a student’s academic career at Roosevelt University.
- The policy applies to students who have not been registered for coursework at Roosevelt University during the last three or more years.
- A completed Application for Academic Renewal is required.
- Undergraduate students are eligible for Academic Renewal only for their first bachelor’s degree at Roosevelt University.
- Academic Renewal may have consequences for financial aid, and a financial aid counselor must be consulted early in the process.
- Students may request an exclusion of the maximum of 30 semester hours of grades at the D+ level or lower for courses completed at Roosevelt University only.
- No A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, Pass grades or coursework taken at other institutions will be considered.
- Excluded grades will remain on the academic transcript and labeled as ‘Academic Renewal’.
- Excluded grades will not count toward the total hours required for graduation or for any specific requirement.
- The student will be readmitted in Good Standing after the approval of the completed Application for Academic Renewal and the exclusion of the grades.
- Once readmitted, a transcript hold will be placed on the student record which will prevent release of their official transcript until completion of their first semester back at Roosevelt University.
- Students must earn a grade of C or better in all of their course work at the close of their first semester back at Roosevelt. If this condition is not met, academic renewal will be revoked, and the student’s academic status will return to its previous status prior to academic renewal.
- Readmitted students must follow the degree requirements currently in effect.
- Academic Renewal may not be available to all students in all degree programs. A student granted Academic Renewal in one program might have it revoked if the student transfers to another program. Students may contact the Office of Undergraduate Advising for detailed information on Academic Renewal in different academic programs.
- Graduate students, students seeking a second bachelor’s degree, and students who have been awarded a bachelor’s degree, cannot apply for academic renewal at Roosevelt University.
Steps to Follow when Applying for Academic Renewal
Applying for Academic Renewal is a simple process. Follow these steps:
- Contact the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising to schedule an advising appointment. The advisor will assist you with completing the application for academic renewal, and identifying course grades to be excluded.
- The Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising will also connect you with a Financial Aid counselor to determine whether or not Academic Renewal will have any impact on Financial Aid Eligibility.
- The Dean's Office of your selected academic program will review and approve or deny the application.
- If approved, your academic advisor will contact you and assist you with the registration process.
- If your application is not approved, the Office of Admission will notify you of decision and your next step.
Contact the Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising at 312-341-4340 (Chicago) or 847-619-7930 (Schaumburg).