Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

New International Students

What do I do now that I am admitted to Roosevelt?

Congratulations on your admission to Roosevelt University!  Please follow these steps to help you prepare before you travel to the U.S.  We look forward to welcoming you to Roosevelt!


Your first step is applying for an F1 Student Visa. Once you have received your form I-20 you must pay the SEVIS fee and schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for your F-1 visa. 

  • After you have been admitted to Roosevelt you may be issued a form I-20.  You will use the form I-20 to apply for an F1 student visa. To receive the form I-20, you must show that you have enough money to cover the first year's tuition, fees, and living expenses (room & board, insurance, books, transportation).  To see the minimum amount of funding required, please download the Tuition and Fee Sheet
  • Before you visit the embassy, you must pay the I -901 SEVIS fee.  Please visit to pay the fee on-line at least 3 days before you go for you visa appointment.  You must print a copy of the receipt after you pay the I-901 SEVIS fee.
  • Schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for your F-1 visa.  Please be sure to apply early as visa appointments fill quickly in some countries.




All F1 and J1 students are required to have health insurance. You will be charged for this on your student account when you register for classes.  If you have your own insurance, you may request to waive Roosevelt's insurance. However, the charge will appear on your student account until you have successfully completed the online waiver application.  CLICK HERE for more information.

Full-time students are required, by Illinois law, to have an immunization record on file. This form was included with your admission documents.  Please plan to complete this form before you come to the U.S.  CLICK HERE for more information.


In order to register for classes, pay your tuition, and submit your housing application, you will need to login to RU Access. Please CLICK HERE to see a short video. You must use your 9-digit Roosevelt ID number to log in; this number is listed on your admission letter. If you need your ID number, please contact International Programs at 312-341-3531 or

  • Log in to RU Access here.
  • In the User ID field, type your 9-digit Roosevelt ID number.
  • Enter your PIN.  Your PIN is your personal identification number or password. The first time you log in your PIN will include the letters RU, your birth date in a six digit format (month-month-day-day-year-year) and an exclamation point (!).  Example: if your birthday is April 1, 1990, you PIN would be RU040190! 
  • You will see the following message on the screen: "Your PIN has expired. Please change it now."  You must create a new PIN, this may include letters and numbers.
  • In the field Re-Enter Old PIN retype the PIN you used to log in.
  • In the New PIN field, create a new six-character PIN.
  • In the Re-enter new PIN field, retype your newly created PIN, then click Login.
  • Choose a question to which you know the answer, then type the answer to your question. Be sure to pick something that you will remember.
  • Click the Submit button.


If you plan to live in University Housing (Chicago campus only); you must complete the housing application on RU Access. You are required to pay a $500 housing deposit to reserve your room. (Instructions on how to submit contract and prepayment.) Please submit the application as soon as possible to ensure that a room is available. You must submit this application before you arrive in Chicago. For more information on the types of housing Roosevelt offers CLICK HERE.

"Off-Campus Housing" refers to any housing that is not University-owned or operated. RU does not not offer assistance in locating off-campus housing; however, we have listed some resources that students may find useful. We have also asked our current students where they live and how they located their current apartment. RU does not endorse any management company, landlord or individual; however this information may be helpful to you when looking for off-campus housing.

If you need a temporary place to stay when you arrive, there are several hotels near campus. The properties listed are within walking distance or a short cab ride of the university. Hotels are listed for the Chicago and Schaumburg campus.


Submit a $200 registration deposit to confirm your attendance. The $200 deposit is not an additional fee; it is a pre-payment on your tuition bill for your first semester and indicates your commitment to enroll at Roosevelt University. The $200 deposit must be paid before you register for classes. The Roosevelt admission deposit is refundable only if your student visa is denied. The deposit will not be returned if you do not attend Roosevelt University.

To make the online payment, you’ll need to log into your RU Access account. Once logged in, follow these easy steps:

  • Click on Registration & Other Student Services
  • Choose Tuition and Fees
  • Choose Make a Payment
  • Connect to Bill & Payment System - this will take you to a separate secure screen
  • Choose eDeposits
  • Choose the term (semester) that you will begin classes
  • Make the $200 payment

You may also pay the deposit by mail or in person if you are in the Chicago area.


If you haven't already done so, you should login to your Roosevelt Mail account. All official communication from Roosevelt will be sent to this e-mail address. More information is available at the Mail support page, You can login to Mail at:


  • When can I come to the U.S.?
  • Travel tips
  • Expenses
  • I-94 Card 
  • How do I get to campus?  


If you are currently attending another school in the U.S. on an F1 Student Visa, you must transfer your SEVIS record to Roosevelt before the beginning of classes. Please complete the Transfer Verification Form and return it to International Programs.


All F1 and J1 students are required to attend the International Student Orientation. Please let us know which orientation you will attend. 


Some students are required to take placement tests before registering for classes. This information is included in your admission letter. You must complete these exams before you register for classes. Exams are offered on the Chicago and Schaumburg campus.  Test dates are located on our homepage.  Please register for the exam you plan to take.

  • RUA – the Roosevelt University Assessment (RUA) is required for some undergraduate students (Bachelor’s degree). The test includes an English and a Mathematics section.   
  • ELP – The Roosevelt English Language Proficiency (ELP) Test is required for students who have not met Roosevelt’s minimum English proficiency requirement.


You must schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to help you select your classes.  The advisor will help you to register.  Please meet with your advisor after you have completed any required placement tests.

Undergraduate students (Bachelor’s degree)

Graduate Students (Master’s and Doctoral Degrees)

  • You must schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor, who will help you select your classes. To obtain the name and phone number of your advisor, please visit the Graduate Advisor Finder