Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

Taxes for International Students

All F1 and J1 students (and their F2 or J2 spouses) are required to file income taxes for every year they are present in the U.S.  This is required even if you did not work in the U.S.

Income taxes are due on April 15 in the following year; some years this may be 1-2 days later if this day is a weekend or holiday.  For example, if you lived in the U.S. for any part of 2013, you are responsible for filing 2013 income tax forms by April 15, 2014. 

Income Tax Workshop for International Students

Each year a Tax Workshop is held to help students understand this process. If you have any questions about filing taxes, please attend this workshop. A representative from the IRS will be there to help answer your questions. 

Income Tax Workshop
Date: Tuesday, March 4
Time: 4:00 p.m. -6:00 p.m.
Location: Columbia College Chicago – Collins Hall
624 S. Michigan Avenue, Room 602

Please bring the following documents with you to the workshop (if you have them)

  • Form W-2
  • Form 1099
  • Form 1042-S
  • Form 1098-T - visit Student Accounts for more information on this form
  • Copy of last year’s return or tax forms (if you filed taxes in 2012)
  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Record of dates you entered and left the US during 2013

If you are unable to attend the workshop, you may stop by International Programs for more information about where you can get tax assistance. 

The links below will be updated to show 2013 forms when they are made available by the IRS.

ALL Students Who Were in the US for ANY Part of the previous Calendar Year (2013)

You must file the Tax Form 8843.  You must file this form even if you did not work during the year. This form is now available on the IRS homepage. This must be submitted by no later than June 15, 2014.

For All Students Who WORKED during ANY Part of the previous Calendar Year (2013)

All international students who worked for any part of 2013 must file the Tax Form 8843 AND U.S. Federal Income Tax Forms (either the 1040NR Form or 1040NR-EZ).  You must also file Illinois State Tax Forms (IL-1040 Schedule NR). All state and federal income tax forms must be completed and sent to the IRS no later than April 15, 2014.

    • State of Illinois Revenue Forms 
      • Tax Treaties

        As international students and citizens of other countries, your country may have a tax treaty with the US. You may or may not owe taxes and can often receive substantial refunds of withheld taxes if you file an income tax return. You can find more information on Tax Treaties on the IRS homepage.

        What do I need to prepare my taxes?

        Please bring any of the following documents that you have been issued. You may not have all of these documents.

        • Form W-2
        • Form 1099
        • Form 1042-S
        • Copy of last year’s tax return or tax forms (if you filed taxes in 2012)
        • Passport with I-94 card and visa
        • I-20 or DS-2019
        • Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
        • Record of all dates you entered and left US during 2013