Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

On-Campus Work Authorization

F-1 students who are maintaining status may work on-campus.  Employment is limited to no more than 17 hours per week at all times as per Roosevelt University’s labor union contract.


It is your responsibility to find an on-campus job. Please visit the Student Employment page for more information on finding jobs.  International students are not eligible for Federal Work Study positions; this is a type of Federal Financial Aid and you must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident to qualify.

For more information about OFF-CAMPUS WORK AUTHORIZATION please visit our pages for CPT and OPT (for F-1 Students) or Academic Training (for J-1 Students). You may also attend an Employment Workshop.


You have two options to apply to work authorization:

1.   Email International Programs and provide all of the following information:
  • First and last name
  • RU ID number
  • Department/office offering employment
  • Supervisor’s name and email address
  • Number of hours per week you will be working
  • Semester you will be working

If you do not currently have a Social Security Number (SSN), please request a Social Security letter in your e-mail.

2.   Complete the Work Authorization form

You may download the On-Campus Work Authorization Form and submit it to the International Programs office.  You may also come to International Programs to pick-up this form.

Work Authorization requests will be completed within 3 business days; notification will be sent to the student, the supervisor and Human Resources by e-mail.


If you are working for the first time in the U.S., you must obtain a Social Security Number for tax purposes. If you already have a Social Security Number, you do not need to apply again. 

When you request work authorization, please notify International Programs that you need a Social Security letter. We will complete the letter at the same time as the work authorization.

Take the following documents to the Social Security Administration Office (click here to find the nearest office):

  1. Job offer letter from your supervisor
  2. Social Security letter from International Programs.  Click here to download the Letter Request Form
  3. Passport (including your visa stamp and I-94 card)
  4. Current form I-20
  5. Application for a Social Security Number.  You may download this form or you may request it at the Social Security Administration Office.

You will be issued a letter from the Social Security Administration that states you have “applied for a Social Security Number."  Your SSN Card will arrive in the mail 4-6 weeks after the application date.  Make sure to bring your SSN card to Human Resources when you receive it! 


After obtaining the “applied for Social Security Number” letter, visit Human Resources to complete your employment paperwork (click here for more information).  You will not receive a paycheck until you have done this.  Remember:  Once you receive the SSN card, you must take it to Human Resources to make a photocopy.