Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo


F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work only if they have received approval from USCIS or from the Office of Intentional Programs.  Please read the following information carefully.  If you have questions, please schedule an appointment with an advisor or attend an Employment Workshop.  Workshops are held in each semester.  



F-1 International Students

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  - CPT is issued while you are a Roosevelt Student.  These positions are often referred to as internships.  Students must be in F-1 Student status for at least 1 academic year before they are eligible for CPT.  Students are required to be registered for an internship or practicum course

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) - Most students apply for OPT after completing their degree.  Although it is possible to use OPT while you are a student, it is recommended that you use CPT.  If OPT is used before graduation, you will have less time after you graduate.  Some students may qualify for a STEM Extension depending upon their academic major.

For more information, please attend a CPT & OPT Employment Workshop.


  • Dates will be available in January.

J-1 Exchange Students

  • Academic Training - Students may be eligible for Academic Training based upon their program agreement.  Students who did not received their DS-2019 from Roosevelt should contact their program sponsor to ask if they are eligible.


If you are working for the first time in the U.S., you must obtain a Social Security Number for tax purposes. If you already have a Social Security Number, you do not need to apply again. You may only be issued a Social Security Number if you are working legally; you cannot request this number for other purposes.

When you request work authorization, please notify International Programs that you need a Social Security letter. We will complete the letter at the same time as the work authorization.

Take the following documents to the Social Security Administration Office (click here to find the nearest office):

  1. Job offer letter from your supervisor
  2. Social Security letter from International Programs.  Click here to download the Letter Request Form
  3. Passport (including your visa stamp)
  4. I-94 Arrival/Departure Record 
  5. Current form I-20
  6. Application for a Social Security Number.  You may download this form or you may request it at the Social Security Administration Office.

You will be issued a letter from the Social Security Administration that states you have “applied for a Social Security Number."  Your SSN Card will arrive in the mail 4-6 weeks after the application date.  Make sure to bring your SSN card to Human Resources when you receive it!