Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

Maintaining F-1 Status

It is very important for you to observe the following immigration regulations in order to avoid problems with your student status in the U.S.  Please contact International Programs if you have any questions about these regulations.

  1. You must have a valid passport at all times.

  2. You must attend the university listed on your form I-20.

  3. Your I-94 must show that you are in F-1 student status for "duration of status."  Learn how to find your I-94.

  4. You must maintain full-time enrollment during the fall and spring semesters. You are not required to take any classes during the summer sessions.  (Full-time enrollment for undergraduate students: at least 12 credit hours per semester; Full-time enrollment for graduate students: at least 9 credit hours per semester.) 

  5. You may work on campus, but no more than 12 hours per week (per Roosevelt's student employment policy). After you find a campus job, you must obtain an On-Campus Work Authorization prior to the start of each semester or summer session.

  6. You must obtain a Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization from International Programs and USCIS to be able to work off-campus.  You will be in violation of your F-1 student status if you begin your employment prior to obtain CPT or OPT authorization.

  7. Your off-campus employment for CPT or OPT can only be part-time (20 hours or less per week) during each semester. Your off-campus employment for CPT or OPT can be full-time (20 hours or more per week) during winter and summer breaks.

  8. If you will not finish your degree before the program completion date on your I-20, you must apply for a Program Extension.  You should apply at least one month before your I-20 expires.

  9. You must report all changes to your name or address to International Programs within 10 days.

  10. You must notify International Programs immediately if you change your academic plans.  This includes changing your major, changing your degree level or leaving before the end date on your form I-20.

  11. If you plan to travel outside the U.S., bring your I-20 to International Programs and request a travel signature at least two weeks before you plan to leave the U.S.

  12. Contact International Programs if you plan to transfer to another college or university. You must submit a transfer release form and an admission letter from the new school, and complete our transfer questionnaire.

  13. If you think you will not be able to enroll full-time, you must speak to an International Advisor. Your drop below full-time enrollment request must be approved and authorized by International Programs BEFORE you can withdraw from any classes.