Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

Satisfactory Academic Progress - 2010-2011

One of the conditions to maintain eligibility for financial aid (federal, state, and institutional scholarships, grants, loans, and work) is to meet the requirements of Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by the federal government. This assessment of your academic record measures your progress towards earning a degree. It is calculated differently from your academic standing (see your Academic Advisor for how your academic standing is calculated).

Components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

  1. You must complete 67% of all of the Roosevelt University (RU) hours you register for/attempt towards your degree, earning grades of "A", "B", "C", "D", and "P" (completion ratio). Grades of "F", "IP", "I", "Z", and "W" do not count. Repeated courses count towards hours attempted and count in passed hours when a passing grade is received. Remedial and ELP courses are counted in hours attempted and counted in hours passed when a passing grade is received. 
  2. You must maintain an overall cumulative RU grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Remedial and ELP courses are included in the grade point average calculation.  When repeating a class, the highest grade is used in calculating your grade point average.
  3. All periods of enrollment are included in these calculations whether or not you received financial aid during those periods. Transfer credits are included in the maximum time frame calculation.

Monitoring Progress

Your progress will be assessed at the end of each spring term.

Financial Aid Probation

You will be placed on financial aid probation in your next term of enrollment if you do not meet component #1 and/or component #2 above.  You will be advised of such at your Roosevelt MyMail email address.  Financial aid probation lasts until the next time your progress is assessed (the following spring). You will continue to be eligible for financial aid while on financial aid probation.

Financial Aid Termination

Eligibility for future financial aid will be ended if your cumulative record does not reflect a 67% completion ratio and a cumulative 2.0 grade point average the first time your record is assessed after your financial aid probationary term. 

Financial aid eligibility ends when you have attempted 180 total semester credit hours as an undergraduate student (135 for the Bachelor of Professional or General Studies) and 54 as a graduate student whether or not you have been on financial aid probation. The maximum time frame to receive financial aid is 150% of the total hours required to earn the degree that you are enrolled in. Hours that are transferred in and accepted towards your degree count towards this calculation.

If you earn 0 hours in any given term in which you are enrolled, financial aid eligibility is ended immediately whether or not you have been on financial aid probation.

In any term that you receive all failing grades (grade of "F") you will be asked to verify your attendance.  If all of your instructors indicate that you never attended the classes in which you received failing grades - your financial aid will be cancelled and returned to the appropriate source of that aid (if you received a financial aid refund for that term - you will owe the university the full balance of that refund and will not be able to attend in subsequent terms until that balance is paid in full).  If, in any term which you received all failing grades, all of your instructors indicate that you stopped attending classes prior to 61% of the term's completion, a Title IV Returns calculation will be performed to determine the amount of financial aid that needs to be returned to the federal, state, or other sources from which they were received. This too could result in you owing a balance to the university.

Note that, even though you have been terminated for financial aid by federal policy, as long as you remain in good academic standing with the university, you may still be eligible to continue to attend Roosevelt at your own expense (see your Academic Advisor).  You may also attend another college or university while trying to bring your record back into compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.

Changing Majors/Second Majors:

Students that have lost their financial aid eligibility due to any of the SAP component noted above and have changed majors may be considered for financial aid by completing the SAP Appeal From.  Students whom have lost financial aid eligibility, due to exceeding the maximum time frame limit noted above, and have changed majors or returned to seek another degree may also be considered for financial aid eligibility by completing a SAP Appeal Form. 

Financial Aid Reinstatement

Financial aid eligibility will be reinstated once an assessment of your academic record confirms it to be in compliance with the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher AND a completion ratio of at least 67% of hours attempted).  You may also request a review of your eligibility prior to the next assessment date by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.  Your request will be answered via your Roosevelt MyMail email address within five (5) business days.

Right to Appeal

If your eligibility for financial aid has been terminated you may appeal to the Office of Financial Aid for reinstatement based upon extraordinary extenuating circumstances.  These circumstances include, but are not limited to, illness or injury that you may have suffered, death of a relative, or other circumstances that result in undue hardship that can be documented by a third-party professional such as a healthcare provider, counselor, cleric, lawyer, etc. .  The appeal must be in writing and must be submitted along with all relevant documentation. There is a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form available to help facilitate the appeal process.

If you are appealing to receive aid for hours beyond the maximum number of attempted hours allowed, you must have your academic advisor perform a degree check and include the results and the exact listing of all remaining courses you need to complete the degree with your appeal documentation. 

Response to your appeal will be emailed to your Roosevelt MyMail email address within five (5) business days.

Financial Aid Grievance

If you feel that your appeal was not handled properly, you may file a grievance with the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services.  You should include all relevant documentation and a written statement of the facts of the case as you see them.  Response to your grievance will be sent to you via your Roosevelt MyMail email address within five (5) business days.  The decision of the Vice President is final.