Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

Information for Parents

Welcome to your website! Sending your son or daughter to a university can be confusing and a little intimidating; so we have created an information site just for you. Most of our communications will be with your student, but this site provides you with some of the general information we will share with your student and will be helpful in the search for financial aid to help make Roosevelt more affordable.

Please keep lines of communication open with your student, since the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) enacted by Congress 30 years ago limits the amount of information we can provide directly to you. One of the first steps you should take is downloading our Consent Form, so your student can authorize us to discuss specific financial aid information and procedures with you. Click here to download the form (PDF, 5K).

We have attempted to answer parents’ most frequently asked questions on this page; if you have other questions, feel free to contact our office (keep in mind, though, that without a signed consent form, we can only talk with you in general terms and not specifically about your student’s specific financial aid detail).

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents  

What forms are needed to apply for financial aid and what is the deadline for applying?

All students wanting to apply for financial aid must submit:

  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    This form can be completed online at . It can also be accessed from our website or a paper copy can be requested from our office.
  • Do not wait for your student to be admitted to Roosevelt University to apply for financial aid. We also do not recommend that you file based upon using estimated tax returns. Please complete these forms using actual tax information.

Verification Documents:

Additional documents may be needed after our initial review of the student’s file, and/or if your student is selected for a process called “verification.” Verification is a process that requires the financial aid office to document all of the information used to complete the application. This is not the equivalent of an IRS audit. Verification simply means that you need to submit a few extra forms -- including copies of the federal tax return for both you and your student, and the Verification Worksheet that can be downloaded from our website.

There is no deadline for new students to apply for aid. If you wish to use financial aid to assist in covering tuition costs, your student must have a completed financial aid file at least 30 days prior to the first payment due date. Students who have not completed their financial aid file by that time will be required to make at least one payment by that date, and use financial aid to cover the remaining balance after aid eligibility has been confirmed.

After the first term of enrollment, your student is considered a “continuing” student. The application deadline each year is March 1st for continuing students. In order to receive an award notice before the start of the next fall term, continuing students, in addition to having complete aid files, must also take advantage of registration starting March 1st for the Fall term or November 1st for the Spring term. Those receiving Roosevelt awards (grants, scholarships, and student employment) are renewed only if registered at least half-time and ALL aid paperwork is submitted by March 30th.

Back to top

How often do you need to apply and when should we start the process?

Students must re-apply for financial aid each school year; this process includes filing the federal form (FAFSA) and supplying the Financial Aid Office with any additional documentation required to resolve discrepancies or comply with verification. The process can be started as early as January 1st every year for the next academic year, or as soon as you have completed your federal tax returns. You should not wait until your student is admitted to apply for financial aid.

Back to top

What if we have questions about our tuition bill?

Tuition bills are produced and mailed by the Office of Student Accounts, the office responsible for notifying your student of total charges, the current amount due, and the due dates for payments. This office is also responsible for collecting payments that will be applied to your student’s account. Any financial aid that has been accepted by your student after receiving an award notice will be reflected on the bill either as anticipated aid (if the funds are not yet available) or as a credit. If financial aid that your student has accepted is not reflected on the bill, your student should contact our office. Questions about tuition charges, bills/invoices, or refunds, should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at 312-341-3570 or by email at

Back to top

When is financial aid available to students?

Federal regulations prohibit disbursement of funds to a student prior to 10 days before the start of classes each term.

Back to top

How will you notify my student of his/her award?

Financial aid Award Notification Letters are emailed starting in early March each year.

Keep in mind that your student could receive a new letter regarding financial aid each time there is a change. For example, receipt of a Roosevelt academic scholarship (new students receive notice from the Office of Admission shortly after the letter of admission is sent) would result in a new award notice carrying the new detail. The same would be true if a scholarship is received from a source other than Roosevelt. Revisions in the makeup of the student’s award package are always sent by email when the changes occur. Keep copies of all of the communication that you receive from us and remind your student that they have been assigned a financial aid advisor who can answer any questions they may have.

Back to top

What are the total costs?

You can view our current rates by clicking here.

Back to top

If parents are separated or divorced, which parent should file the forms?

You will want to refer to the instructions provided with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): If the student’s parents are divorced or separated, information from and about the parent with whom the student lived during the past 12 months should be provided. If the student lived an equal time with each parent, information should be submitted about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months. Remember that your student has a financial aid advisor who can answer questions that may arise during the application process.

Back to top

Should students bring credit cards to school?

It depends. Some students have no problem using a credit card wisely, especially if they have some experience with one and understand the terms. Other students may find it hard not to overspend and as a result may find themselves unable to make minimum payments. They might even drop out of school in order to make their payments, or could end up ruining their credit rating. If you decide to have your student bring a credit card, we recommend that s/he maintain only one card. It may be wise to get one with a low credit limit or a prepaid card to discourage overspending. Having a credit card or a prepaid debit card can be helpful to purchase books and cover incidental expenses at the start of each term.

Back to top

What about scholarships?

Consideration for institutional scholarships for new undergraduates is automatic and done by the Office of Admission upon review of your student’s admission file.

Information on scholarships awarded by organizations outside Roosevelt University can be found at and Please note: never pay a fee to anyone to complete financial aid forms or search for scholarships on behalf of your student. In addition to our Financial Aid office, there are many websites and other sources of FREE information.

Back to top

Are there jobs available for students who want to work?

Roosevelt University and other organizations in the surrounding community offer a wide variety of job opportunities. Most students can do well academically while working 8-15 hours per week. The Office of Financial Aid administers jobs on campus and at non-profit community organizations under the Federal Work Study program. Students not meeting FWS eligibility requirements can still apply for jobs on campus. Click here for information on current jobs.

Back to top

When can my student be considered independent for aid purposes?

Federal regulations for self-supporting status for financial aid purposes are not the same as Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations for dependents on your tax return. It doesn't matter whether you claim your student on your tax return. In all but a few exceptional cases, your student is required to provide parent(s) financial detail on the FAFSA and other required forms if s/he is an undergraduate and under the age of 24.

Back to top

FATV - Parent Information Overview