Chicago 430 S. Michigan Ave.Chicago, IL 60605(312) 341-3500
Schaumburg 1400 N. Roosevelt Blvd.Schaumburg, IL 60173(847) 619-7300
A valid professional Illinois teacher certificate
Bilingual clinical experience totaling 100 clock hours or three months teaching experience in bilingual programs.
Roosevelt students may choose to complete any number of hours within the specified range for each course, but it is the student's responsibility to have a total of 100 clinical hours completed and verified by the end of the program. Some clinical hours may be waived with a letter from a school principal verifying three months of full-time, successful teaching experience in bilingual programs.
Successful completion of a language examination (language proficiency test) in the non-English language to be taught
Credits totaling 18 semester hours distributed among the following course areas:
* Foundations of Bilingual Education
* Assessment of Bilingual Students
* Methods and Materials for Teaching Limited-English-Proficient Students in Bilingual Programs
* Cross-Cultural Studies for Teaching Limited-English-Proficient Students
* Methods and Materials for Teaching English as a Second Language
The above list is met through the following coursework at Roosevelt:
* EDUC 368/468: Foundations of Bilingual and ESL Education (10-30 clinical hours)
* EDUC 375/475: Methods and Materials for Teaching ESL (10-25 clinical hours)
* EDUC 373/473: Assessment of Bilingual Students (10-25 clinical hours)
* EDUC 374/474: Methods and Materials for Teaching Bilingual Students (10-20 clinical hours)
* EDUC 358/458: Linguistics for ESL Teachers
* EDUC 370/470: Cross-Cultural Studies for Teaching Limited English Proficient Students (10-20 clinical hours)
Once the above requirements are met, the applicant must submit the following form to the Illinois State Board of Education along with required documents and fees detailed therein.