ACT/SAT Substitution - More Information
Effective May 6, 2014
ACT/SAT scores may now be used in lieu of a passing score on the Test of Academic Proficiency for full admission to an Illinois Educator Preparation Program. Please note the following requirements:
- The applicant must have a Composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 and a 19 composite in combined English/Writing or a composite SAT score of 1030 and a minimum 450 score in Writing.
- The applicant cannot have failed the TAP ten times.
- The official score report cannot be more than ten years old at the time of application.
Applicants who wish to apply for admission to an Illinois approved educator preparation program using an ACT/SAT score that meets the requirements above MUST do the following:
- If you have not already submitted an official score report to Roosevelt University, request that ACT or SAT send an official score report to Roosevelt University. The ACT website has information about how to make a request, and the SAT website has the same.
- Follow steps below to provide the Illinois State Board of Education with your score report
ACT Plus Writing or SAT Score in Lieu of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) for Individuals Enrolled in an Approved Illinois Preparation Program for Teachers
STEP ONE: CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON THE EDUCATOR LICENSURE INFORMATION SYSTEM (ELIS)
STEP TWO: CONFIRM THAT YOUR SCORE REPORT MEETS THE COMPOSITE SCORE REQUIREMENTS:
- ACT Plus Writing: 22 composite score and a minimum 19 in Combined English/Writing
- SAT: 1030 composite score (critical reading + mathematics) and a minimum 450 in Writing
STEP THREE: REQUEST THAT YOUR SCORES BE SENT TO ISBE DIRECTLY FROM ACT OR SAT.
- The score report must arrive in a sealed envelope addressed to ISBE from ACT or SAT.
- The score can be no older than 10 years old at the time it is received by ISBE.
- If requesting an ACT Plus Writing score report, use ACT code 3001 when ordering. There is no ISBE code for SAT. Request that your SAT score report be sent to the Illinois State Board of Education, Division of Educator Licensure, 100 North First Street, S-306, Springfield, IL 62777.
STEP FOUR: CHECK YOUR ELIS ACCOUNT TO VERIFY THAT YOUR ACT/SAT SCORE REPORT HAS BEEN ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF THE TAP.
- Please allow 60 days for this information to be added to your ELIS account. NOTE THAT YOUR ELIS ACCOUNT MUST REFELCT THE ACT PLUS WRITING OR SAT IN LIEU OF THE TAP PRIOR TO BEGINNING STUDENT TEACHING. SCORE REPORTS THAT ARE RECEIVED PRIOR TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF AN ELIS ACCOUNT WILL BE HELD FOR 30 DAYS. AFTER 30 DAYS, THE REPORT MAY NOT BE CREDITED TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
SPECIAL NOTE: ISBE will not return official score reports that reflect a score less than listed above, lack a writing component, or are more than ten years old at the time of application. Such score reports will be shredded and therefore, cannot be used to apply for an Illinois license or endorsement.
The official State of Illinois policy with respect to using ACT and SAT scores for admission to educator preparation programs is available at the ISBE Certification website.