Roosevelt University in Chicago, Schaumburg and Online - Logo

Licensure Officer

Laura Lag
Phone: (847) 619-8826
Fax: (847) 619-8830

Mailing Address: 
Laura Lag
Roosevelt University
College of Education
Room 517
1400 N Roosevelt Blvd
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Frequently Asked Questions about Certification

  1. Requirements for an Ilinois Teaching Certificate
  2. Teaching in Illinois Without a Certificate
  3. Difference Between Certificate and Endorsement
  4. Certificates Available in Illinois
  5. Certification and Preparation Programs in illinois
  6. Earning a Second Teaching Certificate
  7. Online Educator Certification System
  8. Certified in Another State and Wanting to Obtain Certification in Illinois
  9. Certification for Non-U.S. Citizens
  10. Certified in Illinois and Wanting to Teach in Another State
  11. Applying for Certification at a Later Date After Completion of Approved Program
  12. Interim Certification as School Counselor Intern
  13. Short-Term Emergency Certificate in Special Education

Q: What is required to obtain an Illinois teaching certificate?

A candidate for teacher certification in Illinois must

  • pass all of the state-required tests
  • complete an approved certification program at an institution of higher education
  • be recommended for certification by the institution's Certification Officer.

For more information, please refer to the Directory of Approved Programs for the Preparation of Educational Personnel in Illinois Institutions of Higher Education, and the Guide to Requirements for Certification, Endorsement and Assignment of Teachers, School Service Personnel, and Administrators.

Q. Are there opportunities to teach in Illinois without a teaching certificate?

State law allows individuals to teach in non-public and charter schools without a teaching certificate. However, many of these schools choose to require that some or all of their teachers hold such relevant certification.

State law also allows individuals who do not hold a teaching certificate to teach on a substitute certificate. Substitute certificates may be issued to individuals who meet the general requirements for certification in Illinois; i.e., be 19 years of age, be a citizen of or legally present in the United States, and have good character and sound health; and have a bachelor's degree.

Some individuals who do not have a certificate may be eligible for a transitional bilingual education certificate. This certificate has a limited period of validity during which the holder must work toward full certification. It is available to individuals who have a bachelor-equivalent degree from the U.S. or a foreign country; or who have held a valid certificate or comparable teaching authorization from another state, territory or foreign country; and who can meet specified language requirements in English and another language. For more information, contact a Regional Office of Education or the State Board of Education.

Q: What is the difference between a certificate and an endorsement?

A "certificate" is the license required for an individual to teach in an Illinois public school. An "endorsement" is a statement that is placed on a certificate to identify and limit the specific areas in which the individual is qualified to teach in conjunction with that certificate. For example, a candidate who completes a secondary certification program in mathematics will receive a Secondary Certificate (Type 09) endorsed in mathematics. If that person later meets the requirements for an endorsement in English/Language Arts, the new endorsement would be added to the Secondary Certificate.

Q: What certificates are available in Illinois?

Illinois issues the following regular and provisional certificates:

  • Type 03 (elementary - grades K-9)
  • Type 04 (early childhood - birth-grade 3)
  • Type 09 (secondary - grades 6-12), Type 10 (special - grades K-12)
  • Type 10 (special education - birth through age 21)
  • Type 73 (school service personnel)
  • Type 75 (administration).

Illinois also issues time-limited certificates for certain bilingual teachers (Type 29-transitional bilingual), visiting international teachers, and candidates enrolled in an approved alternative route teacher or administrator preparation program.

Q: How can an individual obtain more information about certification and preparation programs in Illinois?

There are three primary sources of information:

  1. the educator preparation institutions
  2. the Regional Offices of Education
  3. the State Board of Education.

The best strategy is to secure general information about certification and preparation opportunities and then meet with a knowledgeable person at the institution and/or Regional Office of Education to explore individual interests, needs, and circumstances.

Q: How does a teacher earn an additional Illinois teaching certificate?

The State Board's certification requirements state that a second or "subsequent" teaching certificate is to be earned by completing a second approved program, which can be a “focused program.”

Q: What is the Educator Certification System (ECS)?

The Illinois State Board of Education maintains electronic  information on each Illinois certificate holder. Teachers and other certified educators may access their personal files through the  Educator Certification System (ECS) and they may give employers access to selected portions of that information. 

ECS is useful to educators and employers because it provides the most up-to-date information on an educator's status. For example, a candidate recommended for certification by entitlement can use ECS to see that the certificate has been issued, even before the certificate itself reaches the candidate.

Q: Can an individual who is certified in another state obtain a corresponding Illinois certificate and endorsement?

Yes. In most cases, an individual who holds a valid certificate from another state, territory or country can obtain a corresponding Illinois certificate upon submission of appropriate documentation and passage of the relevant tests. Information on specific requirements for out-of-state teachers, administrators, and school service personnel is available through the State Board of Education and/or a Regional Office of Education.

Q. I am a non-U.S. citizen and I want to receive my Illinois certification. What steps do I need to take?

If someone is not a US citizen then they must submit a printed application for certificate to Roosevelt University's Certification Officer (please submit the appropriate form based on your area of certification; refer to Certification Homepage).  The Certification Officer will review the application and return it to the applicant who then should send all of their documents, applications and fees to the State Board of Education. The applicant will also need to complete the 73-91 form as well as providing proof that they are legally present and employable. Please contact ISBE  regarding what documentation will meet these requirements.

Q: I want to teach outside of the State of Illinois. How do I find out what is required in other states?

The Certification Map website provides links to certification requirements and departments in all states and territories.

Q. I want to teach in another state. How do I prove that I completed an approved Roosevelt University program?

Obtain the proper state Verification of Approved Program form from the state board of education website for the state where you wish to be certified.  Complete the form and mail it to Roosevelt's Certification Officer.

Q: I didn't apply for certification when I completed my education program, and now I want to. What do I do?

If you did not complete your application for certification but did complete all of the certification requirements, you must complete the application with the state. The process depends on how long ago you graduated

Within the past 5 years:
Contact Roosevelt's Certification Officer in order to be recommended for entitlement and to recieve subsequent instructions for completing the online application process.

More than 5 years ago:
In this case, Roosevelt cannot directly recommend you for entitlement, but can confirm your successful completion of a state-approved program and submit the paperwork needed for you to proceed in applying for certification with the state. Please complete Part I of the State Approved Program Verification  form and mail, fax,  or email it to Roosevelt's Certification Officer. The Certification Officer will check your records, fill out Part II if you did successfully complete the program, and forward the completed form directly to ISBE.

Q: What is Interim Certification as School Counselor Intern and how can an individual obtain it?

An Interim Certification as School Counselor Intern is a 3-year, non-renewable certificate that make sone eleigible for employment as a school counselor intern. It is only available to individuals who:

  1. are enrolled in an approved Illinois School Counselor program
  2. have completed the necessary program requirements* OR hold a master's degree in another field of counseling and are working toward completion of requirements
  3. are in good health and of sound moral character and are citizens of the United States or  legally present in the United States and possessing legal authorization for employment
  4. submit the Application for Interim Certification as School Counselor Intern** along with required fees to the regional superintendent

*At Roosevelt, the requirements are successful completion of:

  • CHS 415 School Environment, Classroom Management, and Consultation
  • SPED 419 Exceptional Children and Youth (or CHS 422: Substance Abuse for students having satisfied House Bill 150 requirements in exceptional education)
  • CHS 457 Human Growth and Development
  • CHS 418 Organization, Administration, and Leadership of Effective School Counseling Programs.

**This application requires the signature of Roosevelt's Certification Officer and the official university seal before it is submitted to the regional superintendant.

Q: What is a Short-Term Emergency Certificate in Special Education and how can an individual obtain it?

This certificate is for individuals already holding a valid Illinois teaching certificate in early childhood, elementary, secondary, special or transitional bilingual. Short-Term Emergency Certificate in Special Education holders are eligible to serve students with the following disabilities: Learning Disabilities, Social Emotional Disorders, Mental Retardation, Physically Handicapped, Autism, and Traumatic Brain Injury.

For detailed information about required coursework, forms, and documentation, please refer to the IBE website on the Application Process for Short-Term Emergency Certificate.

Please note that Roosevelt's Certification Officer will complete Section IV of the Application for Short term Emergency Certifcation in Special Education ONLY after Sections I-III have been completed. The form will then be returned to the applicant to submit to the regional superintendent.