Summer Institute: American Culture and Academic English
July 29 – August 16, 2013
About the Program
International Students! Planning to begin your degree in Chicago this fall? Get a jump start this summer with the American Language and Culture Institute. Develop your academic English in Chicago Loop this summer! The Roosevelt University Summer Institute is a three-week, pre-sessional program for undergraduate and graduate non-native English speakers planning to study in the United States beginning in fall semester 2013. This program is designed to introduce students to their new host city and academic study in the U.S. Work on your academic English before you begin your degree program while you settle in and get to know Chicago.
- Jump start your English language skills for the coming academic year.
- Improve your academic English skills with quality instruction from ESL professionals.
- Prepare for life at an American college or university.
- Experience Chicago and American culture in a fun, supportive environment.
- Academic Skills for University Success, Monday – Thursday, 9:00 – 10:30 AM. Practice English in academic environments, with a focus on speaking, listening and academic writing.
- American Culture: Chicago, Monday – Thursday, 10:45-12:15. Explore the Chicago with specific language learning tasks to improve your speaking and listening skills, while Fridays are set aside for longer field trips and activities.
- Chicago Tourism and Experiential Learning. Fridays. Enjoy Chicago with the English Language Program staff. Visit Chicago’s internationally renowned museums, tour the city, and attend cultural events and city festivals. Meeting times vary according to activity.
Program Dates: July 29 – August 16, 2013
deadline is June 3, 2013. $200 deposit required by this date. Applications will be considered after this date on a space-available basis. Please note that while we do accept application by mail we urge those interested to apply online as there is a possiblity your mailed application will not be recieved before the deadline.
Program Registration and Tuition
- Roosevelt University students: $2500
- Other university students: $3500
A $200 non-refundable deposit is due at the time of application. The deposit will be applied to the cost of the program.
Our program fee includes tuition, housing in a single en suite room, meal plan, admission fees for all program-organized trips and excursions, and a Chicago public transportation fare card valid for the length of the program. See payment options
Students will be housed in the Roosevelt University Wabash Building is a new, high rise residence hall that opened in Fall 2012 and is comprised of shared bedrooms and private bedroom. Rooms are furnished but must provide their own linens. A dining center is located in the building as are university administrative offices, classrooms, and student recreation facilities. It is connected to the Auditorium Building, where English Language Program classes are taught for the summer. Housing and a meal plan are included in the fee. See Wabash Building photos and a description of facilities.See more about the Loop and area museums, galleries, theatres, parks and historical attractions.
If you have any questions, please contact
English Language Program
Roosevelt University 430 S. Michigan Ave, Rm. 686 AUD
Chicago, IL 60605-0349